Craig Vander Zee
Craig is a partner in our Trusts & Estates and Litigation Groups and is certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Estates and Trusts Law. His practice includes all aspects of estate, trust, capacity, fiduciary and power of attorney disputes and litigation for clients consisting of individuals, trust companies, government agencies and other organizations.
Craig provides counsel on, amongst other things, the rights and obligations of estate trustees, estate trustees during litigation, trustees, attorneys for property or care, and guardians, and the rights and entitlements of beneficiaries. His extensive experience includes matters involving powers of attorney, estate administration, probate applications, passing of accounts, the appointment or removal of estate trustees, trustees or guardians, the validity or interpretation of wills, capacity, undue influence, guardianship, estate or trust claims, breaches of trust, claims against an estate including dependant support claims, minors and the incapable.
Craig is also a very experienced Estate Mediator.
Craig is a past Chair of the Trusts and Estates Section of the Ontario Bar Association and a past member of the Executive (Toronto Branch) of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP). He was also a member of the Advisory Group for the Law Commission of Ontario Project on the Law as it Affects Older Adults.
Craig has represented clients before all levels of Court in Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada, the trial and appellate Courts of Alberta and various tribunals and boards.
Credentials & Affiliations
- Community Involvement
- Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) Designation, 2006
- Certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Estates and Trusts Law (C.S.), 2005
- Ontario Bar, 1994
- Arbitration Course, Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario Inc.
- LLB, Queen’s University, 1992
- BA (Hons.), Royal Military College of Canada, 1989
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Past Member of the Executive, Toronto Branch
- The Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Estate Planning Council of Toronto
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association - Trusts and Estates Section, Past Chair
- Ontario Bar Association, National Elder Law Liaison, Past Member
- Canadian Bar Association, National Wills, Trusts and Estates Committee, Past Member
- Bench and Bar Committee, Toronto Region Estates List, Past Member
- Advisory Group, Law Commission of Ontario Project on the Law as it Affects Older Adults, Past Member
- Past Coach, Markham Minor Hockey Association
- Past Coach, Markham Soccer Club
- Past Coach, Markham District Baseball Association
- Past Co-Chair of a number of charitable golf tournaments