Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Success in litigation and dispute resolution requires advocates who understand their clients’ goals, and have a highly developed sense of judgment, strategy and an appreciation for the specific legal context for the dispute. Regardless of the forum or complexity of the case, Torkin Manes’ sought after and highly regarded litigation and dispute resolution team has a proven track record of successfully advocating on behalf of clients. Our lawyers are committed to resolving disputes advantageously in a timely and cost-effective manner.
With clients’ best interests top of mind, our lawyers make it their business to be proficient with the issues and facts of each case to ensure that our legal advice and strategy aligns with our clients’ objectives. Our goal is to consistently optimize clients’ chances of favourable results and resolutions, whether in the courtroom or through negotiation, while mitigating reputational damage and minimizing the possibility and consequences of subsequent disputes.
As leaders in their field, our skilled litigators take an integrated approach, leveraging the expertise of our colleagues whose knowledge spans multiple practice areas and sectors, which provides clients with seamless and comprehensive legal service under one banner. Some of the areas in which Torkin Manes’ trial lawyers have developed significant experience are:
- Commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation involving oppression remedy disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes, business and contractual disputes
- Construction litigation, including disputes dealing with heavy civil engineering, real estate development and provincial and municipal infrastructure
- Health law, including disciplinary hearings and the long-term healthcare and residential care sectors
- Administrative proceedings, including licensing, tribunal hearings
- Professional liability
- Real estate litigation, including ownership disputes, mortgage remedies, commercial leasing, easements, boundary issues, title disputes and correction of title errors
- Estates and trusts litigation
- Insolvency, restructuring and debtor/creditor litigation, and security enforcement
- Securities litigation
- Appellate and judicial review advocacy
While based in Ontario, our scope of services extends beyond borders. We act on behalf many international clients with business interests in Canada and Canadian clients with business interests elsewhere. As a founding member of Ally Law, an international network of select law firms, we can help our clients obtain excellent legal service and counsel in jurisdictions throughout the world. We are also able to render services to other members' clients from around the globe.
Members of our group have been recognized as leading practitioners in prominent legal directories, including The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Chambers Canada, The Best Lawyers in Canada©, Who’s Who Legal and Benchmark Litigation.